Regional Action Plan
MEFL has been working on an exciting project that goes to the heart of what we do – empowering communities to take action in the energy transition and ensure no one is left behind.
The Department of Energy, Land, Water and Planning (DELWP) Port Phillip region appointed MEFL to develop a draft Renewable Energy Engagement, Communication, and Action Plan for the Port Phillip region. The Plan aims to enable proactive engagement with the community in supporting the transition to renewable energy. The DELWP Port Phillip region consists of 31 local government areas and part of Mitchell Shire Council, all within Metropolitan Melbourne.
MEFL developed a plan that identifies specific actions to achieve a community-supported transition to renewable energy, with a focus on working with key regional stakeholders and place-based communities.
We began by compiling a list of available renewable energy resources in the region, and of government policies that already apply.
We then consulted extensively, both internally with DELWP business units and externally with local government, industry peak bodies, peak regional groups, and communities of interest.
The consultation focused on addressing knowledge gaps and identifying opportunities for further engagement by DELWP Port Phillip (from informing to collaboration) on initiatives to increase the uptake of renewables.
It was particularly encouraging to learn of the positive community sentiment about renewable energy from a wide range of stakeholders. MEFL was able to put forward proposals to DELWP Port Phillip for more detailed stakeholder engagement to address the knowledge gaps and engagement needs of stakeholders. MEFL is excited to build on the positive relationships and networks with DELWP Port Phillip region and other stakeholders.
Key project achievements / outcomes included:
- A draft Action Plan for the DELWP Port Phillip regional office, clearly indicating short-term activities and beyond. The draft Plan identifies specific actions to achieve a community-supported transition to renewable energy, with a focus on working with key regional stakeholders and place-based communities.
- Helping to create new lines of communication between DELWP
- Opportunity to link councils (and other stakeholders) with DELWP Port Phillip Regional office
- Understanding how DELWP works and where there are opportunities
- Knowledge of wider Melbourne project pipelines and opportunities